Owner, Avenidas Funeral Chapel
AZ State Legislature, Chapter 12-Article 3.1 -32-1375. Price lists; telephone information
A. A licensee or registrant (employee) shall provide accurate information about the retail prices of funeral goods or services readily available for sale at the establishment at which the licensee or registrant is employed to any person inquiring about these prices by telephone. (Psst! this means you!)
B. If a person requests a price list by telephone, the establishment shall mail a price list to the caller and may charge a reasonable postage and handling fee of not more than two dollars.
If a funeral home is evasive or cryptic in the way they appear to explaining pricing to you, GET OUT OF THERE! The funeral home is a business, they are not your friend until YOU decide they have deserved your friendship, trying to make best friends with you over the phone is stupid, they should be focusing on answering your questions......
In the funeral industry, people have been forced to shop around looking for the best price but have found that they have to sacrifice in services to afford burial or cremation. This is so far from the truth. There are a few good facilities out there that really do care. They might not be the most glamorous or palatial facilities, but they do provide good service, compassion and understanding, all this for a very affordable price.
Long gone or on their way out are the facilities with sad draping curtains, dark rooms, thousand dollar caskets being served up by dark suits in slicked back hair driving high end sports cars that are being paid for with your $7,000 to $10,000 funeral service.
|Yes, I know, and I want it all!|
There is no shame in a car wash, but remember, the next time you find yourself short of funds needed to bury or cremate, try looking a bit farther, chances are you will find a facility just around the corner that provides very professional services at a very affordable price. Don’t be afraid to shop. There is no shame in that. To many times I have been approached by families after the fact with a great deal of remorse and guilt that they spent way to much on services but did not realize this until well after the fact. Perhaps if they were treated with a little bit more fair play and honesty by the facility that served them these feeling would not be so prevalent.
I had a conversation with another local funeral home owner a while back and he told me that he felt any facility that offered funeral servicews for a price below the status quo was as if a cheap whore to society, selling themselves out to the comunity. For the life of me I find it idiotic that ANY business owner wold think that they set the standards or pricing for a service provided, and that anyone that provides service pricing below the status quo is some sort of prostitute. Why can't business just accept the fact that the smarter, more aware general population no longer wishes to pay high prices for overinflated service? What kind of stupid idiotic way of business thinking is that? Some people can not deal with business competition, it is easier to badmouth and belittle your competitor to the consumer than it is to justify service pricing.
Be cautious of a location if they display the following:
- Having to walk around high end sports cars or luxury sedans to get into the building (Your buying them you know)
- Evasive tactics over the phone when you call and inquire about pricing
- Continued invitations to come into the funeral home and “discuss” with them
- Continued questions as to if someone has passed
- Inquiries out of the blue as to if an insurance policy is available for payment
- Nice suits, expensive suits, REALLY expensive tailored suits
- Grossly inappropriate, over the top empathetic behavior
- False smiles, fake behavior, robotic fake behavior (you can tell, acts like a robot)
- Invitations to sit in an arrangement room if all you want is pricing
- Attempts to separate family members (people talk more freely alone)
- Asking for a phone number if you do not offer it
- Bad reviews by locals due to over the top pricing
- Over the top cremation charges ($600 and up)
- Over the top casket prices. ($1,800 and up) and being forced to look at them
- Hearing the word "TRUST ME"
- Over the top GOOGLE reviews that hammer on the same person or service over and over and over and over and over...................................... Did I happen to mention.... OVER?